Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Y GOLEUAD, DOC FICTORIA;WAREHOUSE, VICTORIA DOCK, CAERNARFON

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 25996

Map Reference SH46SE

Grid Reference SH4791163046

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Caernarfon

Type of Site WAREHOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Goleuad was originally constructed as a warehouse but for over a century it was used a printer's workshop. In fact the building itself is named after the Presbyterian Church's weekly newspaper- The Goleuad- and for many years remained in use as a printers before becoming vacant.

The building is contemporary with Victoria Dock, completed in 1874, and was shown on the 1890 Ordnance Survey. It is a two-storey warehouse built of rubble granite with larger quoins and a renewed slate roof, hipped to the North end. In the pebble-dashed north wall, facing the dock, is a wide doorway, slightly inset, and a further doorway at the left end. In the upper storey is a central doorway with brick jambs and flanked by windows, all beneath the eaves. A stub wall is on the left (East) side. In the West side wall, behind the abutting warehouse, is a single upper-storey window.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings and Justification statement, LBC ( NJR 15/12/2009)

Archive Records