Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BODYSGALLEN HALL, CONWY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 26064

Map Reference SH77NE

Grid Reference SH7995279275

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Conwy

Type of Site HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Later wings built around a C13/C14 watchtower from Conwy castle. Constructed of pink sandstone with grit dressings and slate roof.
SW wing of 1620 incorporates the main entrance and features a three-storey C19 porch;
the five-storey watchtower, with a single room to each floor, is to the SE side of this wing;
the wing to the NE is of c1700;
to SE of c1700 wing there us a wing of 1730;
a final wing of early C20 to South-west;
LateC19 wing to North-west.
(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 10.10.2003

**Identification of 'watchtower' unsubstantiated**

Late 13th/early 14th century watchtower to Cony Castle surrounded by later gabled wings of a uniform vernacular style. The watchtower is five storey, one room to each floor being accessed by a stair turret.
The south-west wing is of 1620, built by Robert Wynn, and incorporates the main entrance to the hall. There is a three storey gabled porch bay with a four-centred door on the ground floor, and transomed and mullioned windows above. The 1620 windg contains mullioned windows, and the south-west elevation has an entrance to the cellar.
To the north-west a wing of 1700, has gable end with chimney stack and both mullion and mullion & transom windows. On the north-east elevation is a 19th century projection with a central crow-stepped gable and with mullion and transom windows dated 1884.
To the south-east is a wing of 1730, dated from a plaque on the north-east elevation inscribed RW 1730. again with mullion and transome windows, and on the south-east side obscured by a 19th century addition in the same style. This addition has a second floor overhang with three-light windows, two light windows on the first floor, and on the ground floor a ledged door and a mullioned window.
To the south-west is a further wing of 20th century date, having a gabled elevation with a central stack flanked to each side by windows, some of which are again mullioned. on the ground floor is a oriel bow window.
To the north-west, a single storey late 19th century wing dated 1894, the south-west gable end with finials and a large five-light window with transomes.
(Source; Cadw listing decription) S Fielding RCAHMW 12/07/2005

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites