You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Ffynone Gardens, New Chapel

Loading Map
NPRN265245
Map ReferenceSN23NW
Grid ReferenceSN2413438545
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityManordeifi
Type Of SiteCOUNTRY HOUSE GARDEN
Period19th Century
Description

Ffynone mansion (the present house, nprn 21930), lies on a south-facing bluff above the steep little valley of the Afon Dulas, at about 119 m AOD. The house, located within parkland (700013) is surrounded by gardens, mostly to the south-west where there is also a walled garden (412050). The designed landscape belongs mostly to the nineteenth century.

The garden falls into three areas of use: the woodland areas; the lawns to the front and rear of the house; and the formal terrace gardens adjacent to the house.

The woodlands flanking the main drive span about nineteen acres to the south-west of the house and consist of mixed woodland with speciment trees. The land falls away fairly gently towards the drive from the north, and more steeply to the south of it. The drive is flanked with rhododendron and other shrubs adjacent to and under the trees. A small area of well-established yews are believed to be linked to the original house of Ffynone. A network of paths through the woods is largely unchanged since the late nineteenth century. Within glades or at junctions of paths are some `eye-catchers' and water features. Notable features include: a small canal and circular pond north of the drive; a nearby well to supply garden cottage near the walled garden; south of the drive, the ‘lion tank’, a small oval pool with a lion's head spout; and the fountain garden, a flat lawn area at the base of the slope, divided by a central path flanked by yews, fountain at centre. At a junction of one of the paths within the main drive is a rose arch and gate, possibly from the mid-nineteenth century. At another,  downhill from here, is a small (repro) statue about 1.5m high on an older base. Further east the boundary between the garden and plantations to the south is made by a ha-ha. 

Lawns lie to the front and rear of the house. To the south an area of sloping lawn is separated from the fields to the east and south by a ha-ha up to 1.5m high, and now approached by a tree avenue. To the north east of the house a further, extensive, level lawned area was formerly the site of tennis courts and croquet lawn, edged on the south with a laurel hedge; whilst to the north is a retaining wall between this and a further lawned area to the north. On the west side of the house is a lawned terrace with bow projection, yew topiary, and a sundial.

The formal terrace gardens adjacent to the the south-east front of the house date from 1904 and the work of Inigo Thomas. They comprise a five-bay Italianate belvedere in the form of a loggia raised on arched windows in front of the old house, with steps descending outwards to the extensive, balustraded, formal terrace (75m by 10m), below. In the centre of the terrace is a projecting square bay, and semicicular bays at each end, that the north-east end a semicircular lily pond. At its western end the lawn is reached by a flight of steps, level access afforded at its east end. The west garden is accessed from the south-west end of the terrace.

Sources:

Cadw 2002: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire, 206-211 (ref: PGW(Dy)18(PEM)).

Ordnance Survey first edition six-inch map: sheet Pembrokeshire VII.SE (1887);

Additional notes: D.K.Leighton

 

RCAHMW, 14 October 2020

Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfCPG - Cadw Parks and Gardens Register Descriptions