You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Glynllifon Mansion, Llandwrog

Loading Map
NPRN26526
Map ReferenceSH45NE
Grid ReferenceSH4569655378
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
CommunityLlandwrog
Type Of SiteCOUNTRY HOUSE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Glynllifon Mansion is a grand neo-classical mansion set in extensive park and grounds (NPRN 86377). The house is constructed on the site of at least three earlier houses, the original predating a c.1600 rebuilding, with a second rebuilding in 1751 after which it was described as a moderate sized brick mansion. This was destroyed by fire in 1856, after which the current house was constructed. It was commissioned from Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury to stand on the cellars of the 1751 house. It was completed and fully furnished by 1846. It was extended to the west in 1889-90. The grounds are entered by a monumental arch (NPRN 31379) and the drives cross bridges before the house (NPRN 23774).

The house is three-storeyed and constructed of stone with rendered elevations under a slate roof. The design of the symmetrical 13 bay block is dominated by the central hexastyle pedimented portico, with a first floor loggia with Ionic marble columns. The front elevation is divided into paired bays flanked by pilasters ornamented with a Greek ffret pattern. There are numerous service and anciliary buildings associated with the house. These include: the icehouse (NPRN 405556); stable yard (NPRN 31380); workshop yard (NPRN 31381); a mill (NPRN 406301); a barn (NPRN 403747); a cattle rubbing stone (NPRN 309943), and estate housing (NPRN 404152).

In recent years the mansion has been converted to college use.

(CADW Listing Description) S Fielding 13/04/05
Source: Haslam, Orbach and Voelcker (2009), The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd. Pevsner Architectural Guide, page 427.

RCAHMW, October 2009