You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Newport, Pembrokeshire

Loading Map
NPRN268069
Map ReferenceSN03NE
Grid ReferenceSN0571539106
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityNewport
Type Of SiteTOWN
PeriodMultiperiod
Description
The area surrounding Newport has been occupied since the Mesolithic period, and a rich array of remnants survive, including Carreg Coetan Arthur (NPRN 304320) in the eastern part of the town, the Iron Age hillfort (NPRN 300426) on Carn Ingli to the south of the town, and the various hut circles which surround it. The town as we see it today is a Norman foundation of the FitzMartin family, lords of Cemais from c.1197, who, following a brief seizure of Nevern Castle (NPRN 304392) by Rhys ap Gruffudd in 1191, established the new castle and town downriver at Newport.

Newport Castle was twice destroyed by the Welsh in the early and mid-thirteenth century, causing considerable disruption to the town and its populace, but each time it was quickly rebuilt. Despite periods of decline, Newport's prosperity has always been based chiefly on the agricultural wealth of its hinterland and its excellent coastal position for trading and fishing. During the sixteenth century it began to export cloth and wool from its port, and a new quay was later built to the west at The Parrog (NPRN 408332) in response to silting of the estuary; the port thrived into the nineteenth century.

Source: Driver, T. Pembrokeshire: Historic Landscapes from the Air (RCAHMW, 2007)

K Steele, RCAHMW, 12 January 2009