Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

STACK ROCK FORT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 268158

Map Reference SM80SE

Grid Reference SM86430495

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Herbrandston

Type of Site FORT

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Perhaps the most striking of all the Haven forts, sitting remote on a mid-channel rock, Stack Rock was first developed in 1852 as a trefoil-plan battery similar to the north-east Martello Tower at Pembroke Dock. It was one of a chain of forts designed to defend the middle part of Milford Haven and the Royal Naval Dockyard at Pembroke Dock against an invasion from France under Napoleon III. It was later extended in 1870; an entirely new building enveloped the former tower within. In its day Stack Rock was armed with sixteen 18-ton Rifled Muzzle Loading (RML) guns, and manned by 150 men.

T. Driver, RCAHMW, 17 July 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records