Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SKOKHOLM ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 268159

Map Reference SM70SW

Grid Reference SM7293104574

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Dale

Type of Site LIGHTHOUSE

Broad Class MARITIME

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Skokholm Lighthouse, on the south-west end of Skokholm Island (NPRN 404211), was officially opened in 1915. The 17.7m (58ft) octagonal tower was the last of traditional construction to be erected by Trinity House. The lower part of the tower is incorporated into flat-roofed two-storeyed dwellings with a symmetrical entrance front. The presence of the structure of the tower within the dwellings is expressed externally by a slight vertical projection and is further emphasized by a square porch. Above the flat roof of the two-storeyed dwellings the square structure of the tower slopes into the shape of an octagon. The diameter of the lantern is 3.45m (11ft 4ins) with normal diagonal panes and iron glazing bars. The fog signal engine house occupies the seaward side of the dwellings and the typhoon horns are situated at the angles. The buildings are said to have been built of stone rubble but all is now rendered and painted white. A new Stone Chance Optic, lit and operated electrically, had been fitted by the early 1970s.

Event and Historical Information:
A plaque inside the tower records that it was officially opened in 1915. The Skokholm Lighthouse is now automatically operated and controlled from St. Ann's Head.

Sources include:
Hague, D, 1994, Lighthouses of Wales: Their Architecture and Archaeology, pg70

Maritime Officer, January 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites