Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CERNIOGE MAWR;CERNIOGAU MAWR

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 26964

Map Reference SH95SW

Grid Reference SH90555040

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Denbighshire

Community Pentrefoelas

Type of Site HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1. 19th century early stone, two storey, slate roof, gabled porch. Good contemporary staircase.

2. Cernioge was at one time an inn and staging post on Thomas Telford's road to Holyhead. Its earliest mention as licensed premises is in 1772, before the road was turnpiked in 1777. It was variously called the Price Llewellyn and the Kings Hotel, and was described as a miserable inn until c1810, which was when Telford was conducting his survey of the road. Telford's reconstruction of the turnpike was opened here in April 1821, and the inn flourished, with stabling for 69 horses and ample space for coaches, until 1839 when the licence was lost in favour of the Foelas Arms at Pentrefoelas 3.6km to the west. A stable block on the north side of the road almost certainly dates from this period of prosperity. Telford's milestones give distances to Cernioge in miles and furlongs.
W J Crompton, RCAHMW, 6th February 2020.

Digital Images

Archive Records