You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Bodorgan Airfield, Aberffraw

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH36NE
Grid ReferenceSH3850068500
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
Bodorgan airfield was a grassfield site. One Blister hanger was built for the engineers and eventually two additional Bellmans were added. Nissen and Maycrete huts replaced the original tented accommodation. The control tower/watch office was a bungalow type building. Fields to the east surrounded by woodland, between the airfield and Bodorgan Hall, were used for the camouflaged storage of up to 30 Wellingstons in 1942. The hangars were dismantled soon after 1945, but some of the workshop/technical buildings and domestic buildings remain and are used for light industry. The hangar foundations and apron areas are used for car parking and storage.

Event and Historical Information
The airfield was opened as Aberffraw on 1 September 1940, but its named was changed to Bodrogan on 15 May 1941. From September 1940 the airfield was occupied by `Z' flight of 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit (AACU) flying Queen Bees, a radio controlled version of the De Havilland Tiger Moth. The Queen Bees facilitated test shooting by anti-aircraft gunners at the Ty-Croes Range. The aircraft arrived in November 1940 and the first pilotless flight was made on 2 December 1940. A small number of the Queen Bees are noted as having gone out of control and flew out to sea, another crashed on Snowdon. A detachment of Lysanders from 13 Squadron at Hooton Park were based at Bodorgan during March 1941, and these planes were joined by more Westland Lysanders from 48 Squadron based at Harwarden when Bodorgan became a storage airfield designated 15 Satellite Landing Ground (SLG). The airfield was closed as a SLG in the winter when the grass runway became too muddy. By the end of 1944, Harwarden had taken over Hooton Park as a sub-storage area and hence Bodorgan's role as a storage airfield declined with 48 Maintenance Unit (MU) leaving by 30 December 1944. In November 1944, 650 Squadron flying Miles Martinets were based at Bodorgan and, a little later, a detachment from 577 Squadron (RAF/army co-operation unit). The average number of wartime personnel were 26 RAF, 2 WAAF officers, 23 RAF, and 4 WAAF NCOs, 479 RAF and 124 other ranks. The airfield closed on 30 September 1945.

Sources include:
Defence of Britain Project
Jones, I, 2008, Airfields and Landing Grounds of Wales: North, pg70-77
Phillips, Alan, 2006, Military Airfields Wales, pg34-8
Sloan, Roy, 1991, Wings of War over Gwynedd, pg62-78
Smith, David J, 1982 Action Stations 3: Military Airfields of Wales and the North West, pg44-5

RCAHMW, June 2008.