You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Calburga

Loading Map
NPRN273175
Map ReferenceSM84SE
Grid ReferenceSM8778740050
Unitary (Local) AuthorityMaritime
Old CountyMaritime
CommunityMaritime
Type Of SiteWRECK
Period20th Century
Description

An area of widely dispersed wreckage has been reported off the headland. Large pins or nails have been reported as recovered from the wreck and reported to the Receiver of Wreck. The full character and extent of remains is presently unknown.

Event and Historical Information:
The CALBURGA was a wooden barque built by A MacDougall, Maitland, Nova Scotia, in 1890. Technical and configurations specifications are given as 1406gt, 1350nt; 210ft long x 39ft 2in breadth x 23ft 2in depth; 1 deck; constructed of fir (or pine) with yellow metal fastenings; official number 90478. At time of loss, the barque was oned by T Douglas, State Street, NewYork, and was under the command of D F Douglas transporting a cargo of timber from Halifax, Nova Scotia, to Liverpool. The barque was caught in the storm of 12-13 November 1915. Two of its masts went overboard and its remaining sails were blown out. The barque's plight was seen by the steamship GREAT SOUTHERN, but the barque was too near the rocks of Strumble Head to allow the steamer to approach. The barque ran aground on rocks near Pen Brush and began to break up. The St David's lifeboat CHARTERHOUSE was launched, but arrived to find the barque abandoned. The captain and 13 crew had managed to use their own boat to land at Aber-Bach.

 

Sources include:

Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph, 17 November 1915, p.4
Larn and Larn Shipwreck Database 2002
Lloyd's Register Casualty Returns, 1 October - 31 December 1915, p.13 (g)
Goddard, T, 1983, Pembrokeshire Shipwrecks, p.98
Receiver of Wreck Droits Database 2007 RCIM6/2/5
SV Calburga, Wreck Site EU
UK Hydrographic Office Wrecks and Obstructions Database. ? Crown Copyright and database rights. Reproduced by permission of the Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery Office and the UK Hydrographic Office (www.ukho.gov.uk)

 

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, March 2008.

This record was enhanced in 2020 with funding from Lloyd's Register Foundation as part of the project ‘Making the Link: Lloyd's Register and the National Monuments Record of Wales’. Visit Lloyd’s Register Foundation Heritage and Education Centre for more resources.