You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button


Loading Map
Map ReferenceSR07NE
Grid ReferenceSR0976479363
Unitary (Local) AuthorityMaritime
Old CountyMaritime
Type Of SiteWRECK
Period20th Century

Archaeological remains associated with the loss of this vessel are not confirmed as present at this location, but may possibly be in the vicinity.

Event and Historical Information:
The ELEAZAR (or ELEAZER) was a steel-hulled fishing trawler built by Russell Hall & Co, Aberdeen, in 1895 (yard number 294). Technical and configuration specifications are given as 111gt, 44nt; 90ft long x 19ft 6in breadth x 10ft depth; steel hull; screw propulsion powered by a single steam boiler linked to a compound engine producing 45 horsepower; official number 104515. The ELEAZAR was original owned at Aberdeen by W Wood (fishing number A771). It was sold to West Hartlepool in 1902 to J J Lister (fishing number HL51). In 1917, it was taken into the Fishery Reserve. On 12 August 1917, the trawler was captured by German submarine 25miles west southwest of St Ann's head. The crew were forced to abandon ship after which the trawler was sunk by gunfire. The submarine was the UC 51, commissioned on the 6 January 1917. The submarine undertook 7 patrols, sinking 28 ships, before being sunk by a mine in the English Channel on 17 November 1917 (all hands lost). At the time of the attack on the ELEAZAR, the commander was Oberleutnant Hans Galster.


Sources include:

Appropriation Books, Official Numbers 104501 - 104550 (104515)
Goddard, T, 1983, Pembrokeshire Shipwrecks, p.107
HMSO, 1988, British Vessels Lost at Sea 1914-18 and 1939-45, p.120
Larn and Larn Shipwreck Database 2002
Lloyd's Register Casualty Returns, 1 July - 30 September 1917, p.9 (i)
Lloyd's Register of British and Foreign Shipping, 1 July 1915- 30 June 16, number 382 in E
Mercantile Navy List, 1900, p.112
Mercantile Navy List, 1910, p.158
Mercantile Navy List, 1915, p.180
U-Boat Project: Commemorating the War at Sea

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, June 2019.

This record was enhanced in 2020 with funding from Lloyd's Register Foundation as part of the project ‘Making the Link: Lloyd's Register and the National Monuments Record of Wales’. Visit Lloyd’s Register Foundation Heritage and Education Centre for more resources.