You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Old Cloisters; Or Ganists House, Ruthin

Loading Map
NPRN27595
Map ReferenceSJ15NW
Grid ReferenceSJ1235558395
Unitary (Local) AuthorityDenbighshire
Old CountyDenbighshire
CommunityRuthin
Type Of SiteHOUSE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Old Cloisters, Ruthin is a two-storeyed building adjoining St Peter's Church (nprn 309581) on the north side. The building is probably contemporary with the 1310 foundation of the church, although it has since been significantly altered, particularly by 19th century 'Gothicizing'. Nevertheless, some original features survive, including two doorways on the east side. A five-bay vaulted undercroft, now divided, and the tierceron vaulting, with wave-moulded ribs, is visible only in the middle bay. Further north is a transverse passage, with pointed tunnel-vault and chamfered ribs, and containing blocked doorways with hoodmoulds.

(Source: Edward Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd, 1986, p. 275)
J.Hill, RCAHMW, 27/05/2004.

Collegiate buildings, thought to have belonged to Bonhommes, associated with St Peter's Church; established 1310, dissolved 1479; adapted as warden's house for Christ's Hospital (nprn 26989) in 1590s; further work, extentions and alterations c.1800 and 1954.

(Source OS 495 card; SJ15NW11)
RCAHMW AP945190/49-51
J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 20.07.2004.
Resources
DownloadTypeSourceDescription
application/pdfCPAT - Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust ReportsClwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust Report No 1687 entitled "The Cloisters, Ruthin, Denbighshire - Archaeological Watching Brief." Prepared by Richard Hankinson, August 2019. CPAT project no. 2403.