Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

OLD CLOISTERS; ORGANISTS HOUSE, RUTHIN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 27595

Map Reference SJ15NW

Grid Reference SJ1235558395

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Denbighshire

Community Ruthin

Type of Site COLLEGE, HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC, RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Old Cloisters, Ruthin is a two-storeyed building adjoining St Peter's Church (nprn 309581) on the north side. The building is probably contemporary with the 1310 foundation of the church, although it has since been significantly altered, particularly by 19th century 'Gothicizing'. Nevertheless, some original features survive, including two doorways on the east side. A five-bay vaulted undercroft, now divided, and the tierceron vaulting, with wave-moulded ribs, is visible only in the middle bay. Further north is a transverse passage, with pointed tunnel-vault and chamfered ribs, and containing blocked doorways with hoodmoulds.

(Source: Edward Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd, 1986, p. 275)
J.Hill, RCAHMW, 27/05/2004.

Collegiate buildings, thought to have belonged to Bonhommes, associated with St Peter's Church; established 1310, dissolved 1479; adapted as warden's house for Christ's Hospital (nprn 26989) in 1590s; further work, extentions and alterations c.1800 and 1954.

(Source OS 495 card; SJ15NW11)
RCAHMW AP945190/49-51
J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 20.07.2004.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources