Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CAERLEON LEGIONARY FORTRESS: CAR PARK AND GARDEN OF ENDOWED SCHOOL, NORTH OF BROADWAY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 275995

Map Reference ST39SW

Grid Reference ST33809064

Unitary (Local) Authority Newport

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Caerleon

Type of Site LEGIONARY FORTRESS

Broad Class DEFENCE, DOMESTIC

Period Roman

Site Description Part of Caerleon Legionary fortress (Nprn95647).

An area of about 85m north-west to south-east in the latera praetorii of the legionary fortress was explored in 1928, with further work in 1957; parts of the barracks of the first cohort of Legio II Augusta were recorded as well as an extensive, but as yet unidentified complex to the north-west: to the south several of the centurions houses of the first cohort have been explored (Nprn95652).

Sources: Nash Williams 1929 (AC 84), 140-45 [142-5];
Boon 1964 (AC 113), 16-40 [16-20].

J.Wiles 02.02.05

Archive Records

Associated Sites