You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Clydach Railroad

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSO21SW
Grid ReferenceSO2020012200
Unitary (Local) AuthorityBlaenau Gwent
Old CountyBrecknockshire
PeriodPost Medieval
Constructed 1794 by Thomas Dadford as a horse-operated edge railway linking collieries and ironworks at Beaufort with Glangrwyne Forge (SO 2395 1613) on the Usk. Much of this tramway is now under minor roads, particularly the lane running from the canal wharf at Gilwern to Maesygwartha.
Glangrwyney (section) : a 2.1 km edge-rail system, later plateway. From Gilwern wharf to forge on N bank of R Usk to transport pig. Mostly closed pre-1833 and totally by 1908. SO 244145 to SO 239162.
(A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 01 November 2007.
application/pdfAPAC - Archaeological Perspectives Analysis Consultancy (A.P.A.C. Ltd)APAC report entitled "Watching Brief. Hafod Arch (Clydach Railway) WB/BRY/10"carried out by Archaeological Perspectives Analysis Consultancy (A.P.A.C. Ltd) August 2011.
application/pdfERC - Emergency Recording CollectionWessex Archaeology report ref no 107391.02 "A465 Heads of the Valleys Section 2. Redundant Sewer Pipe Historic Building Record" dated March 2018.
application/ - Archaeological Perspectives Analysis Consultancy (A.P.A.C. Ltd)Digital archive project information relating to an Archaeological Watching Brief at Hafod Arch (Clydach Railway) carried out by Archaeological Perspectives Analysis Consultancy (A.P.A.C. Ltd) 2011.