Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CASTLE POINT OLD FORT; FISHGUARD FORT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 276025

Map Reference SM93NE

Grid Reference SM9621537806

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Fishguard and Goodwick

Type of Site FORT

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1. Artillery fort: a roughly 30m east-west by 25m enclosure upon Castle Point, comprising a battery facing north & west, with a simple wall set across the neck of the promontory.
Constructed 1781, the fort had eight 9-pounder cannon and participated in the action of 1797.

See Nprns 270784-5 for more recent military features.

J. Wiles 30.09.2003

2. One of the few pre-Second World War coastal defences to have fired shots in anger, Fishguard Fort occupies Castle Point overlooking Fishguard Harbour from the south-east. It was built between 1781 and 1785 and successfully warded off the French invasion force of 1797 with a single cannon ball, forcing them to land further along the coast of Pen-caer/Strumble Head. Today the fort stands restored with four cannon facing bravely out to sea (RCAHMW, AP_2005_1342).

From: Driver, T. 2007. Pembrokeshire: Historic Landscapes from the Air, RCAHMW, page 115, Figure 176.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites