You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Weobley Castle

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSS49SE
Grid ReferenceSS4782092740
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityLlanrhidian Lower
The substantial remains of Weobley castle are group around a small, open courtyard, with few indications of serious fortification. There is no firm evidence that suggests that the site was fortified before 1304, though the substantial foundations of the south-west tower have been compared with earlier defensive stone keeps. Building work at Weobley castle commenced in the early fourteenth century, with the earliest buildings constructed being the hall block, the two southern towers and sections of the east curtain. The latter was intended to form the outer walls of the east range. Later, a second phase of building concentrated a more economical approach to building and less defensible. To complete the enclosure of the site, three buildings were constructed; the solar block, the simple gateway on the west, and the chapel to the south, together with a short section of the eastern curtain wall. Chambers were also constructed in the east range. It is most likely that most of the work was done during the tenure of David de la Bere between 1304 and 1327. Although various modifications were subsequently made to the fourteenth century buildings, there were no significant additions to the castle until the late fifteenth century. Weobley was then held by Sir Rhys ap Thomas and it is he who added the porch block to provide an improved entrance to the hall and private quarters. It was this last addition which, in the sixteenth century, was modified for domestic use when the castle had degenerated into a tenant farmhouse.

Source: Williams, Diane. M. 1995. Weobley Castle: CADW

M. Lloyd Davies, RCAHMW, 10 November 2008