You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Whitehouse Cottage;old Knap, Cole Or Coal Farmhouse

Loading Map
NPRN28030
Map ReferenceST16NW
Grid ReferenceST1031566363
Unitary (Local) AuthorityThe Vale of Glamorgan
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityBarry
Type Of SiteHOUSE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Whitehouse cottage was the farmhouse of Cold Knap farm before it was engulfed by the present seaside resort - first depicted on the 4th edition OS County series (Glamorgan. L.8 1936). It is a distinctive long two storey building with whitened rendered stone rubble walls under a thatched gabled roof with low end chimney stacks. The cottage was damaged by fire in 1978 and has since been restored.
The cottage consists of two small conjoined houses, the western sixteenth century and the eastern of perhaps 1600. The lower rear range was added in the seventeenth and eighteenth century and a later single storey, slate-roofed range has been added on the west. Both units of the main house retain stone stairs on the north sides of their chimneys. The eastern unit features an ochre wall painting of a female figure traditionally dated to about 1580. The main door has a Tudor arch and is concealed by a thatched porch.

Source: RCAHMW Glamorgan Inventory IV.2 Farmhouses & Cottages (1988), 25, 271
CADW Listed Buildings Database (13400)

John Wiles 20.02.08