You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Cors-y-gedol Hall

Loading Map
NPRN28298
Map ReferenceSH62SW
Grid ReferenceSH6001623078
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyMerioneth
CommunityDyffryn Ardudwy
Type Of SiteCOUNTRY HOUSE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description

Cors-y-Gedol is a late sixteenth century gentry house, the earliest part of which was built in 1576 as a lateral chimney, storeyed house, a high-status example of a building-type favoured by the gentry of Meirionydd at that time. The ambitions of its owners continued to be reflected thereafter in a series of remodellings and extensions, beginning in 1592, and culminating in a major expansion of the house in the later nineteenth century. There was an earlier house of Cors y gedol, and though its precise location and form remain unknown, it was clearly already important by the later fifteenth century at least. By the early 16th century, this property was the seat of the Vaughan family, who had assembled a substantial estate by 1525 and who were prominent in the county from the 15th century until the late 18th century. The estate passed to the Mostyn family in 1791, was sold in 1858 to the Corbett family, under whose patronage the house was doubled in size. Between 1891 and 1908 the property was owned by the Ansell family before becoming for a time a school and a hostel. It was acquired by the present owners in 1951.

The earliest part of the present house was built by Richard Vaughan, in 1576. The original 3-unit plan of hall with outer room beyond passage to west, and inner room to east, survives only in outline, since both inner and outer rooms were later substantially rebuilt, though the hall itself survives. The storeyed porch was added in 1593, and the inner room was also remodelled at this time. The western unit was reconstructed in 1660 (and remodelled again in the later 18th century). At some time the original single pile range was extended to the rear, and perhaps by the early 18th century, a further range set back from and west of the original was added. This was itself extended in the nineteenth century. The history of the house is well-documented, not only in date-inscriptions, but also in written accounts: in one of these, Richard Vaughan (inherited, 1697, died 1734), was said to have modernised the house by thorough repair, including wainscotting and new flooring, replacing the old mullioned windows with sashes, and adding new rooms to the house. The interior panelling is very likely to be his wainscotting, and perhaps the gabled range in parallel with the hall, and the rear wing, provided his new rooms.

Wallpaintings include coats of arms of various dates.

Associated with: grounds and gardens (NPRN 265202)

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.
RCAHMW, 2009.