You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Corsygedol Gatehouse

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH62SW
Grid ReferenceSH6002023030
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyMerioneth
CommunityDyffryn Ardudwy
PeriodPost Medieval
The gate house at Cors-y-Gedol was built by William Vaughan in 1630 and is thought to have been designed by Inigo Jones, though this is doubtful. Nevertheless the gatehouse is exceptional, being renaissance in spirit and no later than Jacobean in form. The 3-storey building is of stone, with a cross gabled slated roof; stone mullioned windows; a stone segmental arch and 2 storey wings. The arch is moulded, and the keystone bears the date and the initials of William Vaughan. In the upper storey is a single handed clock face with pointed hoodmould over; at each corner of the tower's roof is a crude gargoyle in the shape of a human face. There is a timber bellcote with pyramid slate roof surmounted by a weathercock. The gatehouse was converted for use as holiday accommodation in the late 20th century.

Source: CADW listed buildings database.
Source: Haslam, Orbach and Voelcker (2009), The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd. Pevsner Architectural Guide, page 708.

RCAHMW, 20th December 2007.