Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MELLINGTON HALL, CHURCH STOKE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 29593

Map Reference SO29SE

Grid Reference SO2588792012

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Churchstoke

Type of Site HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Mellington Hall is said to have been completed in 1876 to replace an earlier house on the estate. The Hall consists of the house, service wing, tower and mews block, built in Gothic style with a complex series of projecting gables and differing roof lines and built of rock-faced rubble masonry with sandstone dressings, under slate roofs and constructed on a plinth.

The house is roughly square, massive and with 2 storeys, attic and cellar. The projecting gables are laid out to form half-hexagonal towers on the corners of the house and have raised copings and finials. The entrance is within a projecting gable, and is approached by stone steps lined with balustrades. The 6-panelled door is probably original and is under a stone tympanum decorated with a coat of arms and the date 1876, in relief.

The lower service wing has a tower of 3 storeys surmounted by a parapet, at its corner is a hexagonal stair turret, rising to a greater height than the tower and also surmounted by a parapet. The tower has an ornate oriel window at first floor level. The mews block is surmounted by a clock tower with a splay-footed spire. There are further buildings along the north and south sides of the closed courtyard. Offa’s Dyke passes through the parkland to the west of the hall.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.
RCAHMW, 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites