Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 300173

Map Reference ST17SE

Grid Reference ST1902174347

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Butetown

Type of Site SHIPYARD

Broad Class MARITIME

Period 19th Century

Site Description John Bachelor and Mitchell and Co. originally had extensive works on the sea front between the Bute West Dock and Glamorganshire Canal Sea Lock which was later acquired by Messers. John Gunn and Co becoming the Mount Stuart Dry Dock and Engineering Company. The site consisted on three graving docks (NPRN 34267), fitting shops, the office at Landsea House (NPRN 307750), a power house (NPRN 405291), foundries, boiler, workshops, and a large gridiron, with an iron works and sawmill to the west. The dry docks have been filled as part of the large freshwater lake in the Cardiff Bay inner harbour, while the metal frame of a workshop which was part of the yard has been re-used in the Techniquest building (NPRN 307751).

(Sources: Allen, ‘Engineering and Shipbuilding’ in Ballinger, Cardiff: An Illustrated Handbook (Cardiff: 1896), pp. 114-5; Hutton, An Illustrated History of Cardiff Docks, vol 2 (Great Addington: 2008), p. 136)
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 03.08.2018

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites