You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

War Material Factory;mettoy Factory, White City Road, Fforestfach, Swansea

Loading Map
NPRN300189
Map ReferenceSS69NW
Grid ReferenceSS6282095800
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityCockett
Type Of SiteFACTORY
PeriodModern
Description
The site was built as a Second World War 'shadow factory'. The Mettoy Company, established in Northampton in 1933, occupied the factory, known as the S building, from 1944 onwards, producing pressed metal components for the war effort and later reverting to production of metal toys, from 1956 under the 'Corgi' brand name. In 1948, an additional factory was built to the southwest, known as the W building, and later buildings P and Q were built in between; in 2011 the P building was burnt out and demolished.

The original S building is very similar in design to, although considerably smaller than, the factory at Newtown (nprn 91487): single storey, almost square in plan with a north lit roof, and fronted by a separate single storey brick-built office block surmounted by a fire-watchers' tower (Newtown) or possible water tank (Fforestfach). In February 2000 both buildings were noted as intact and in a variety of light industrial uses.

B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 26 February 2000.