Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SHOTTON STEEL WORKS;SHOTTON STEELWORKS, CONNAH'S QUAY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 300212

Map Reference SJ37SW

Grid Reference SJ305705

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Connahs Quay

Type of Site STEEL WORKS

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period 20th Century, Modern

Site Description Hawarden Bridge Iron Works (nprn 40512) was established in 1895-6 by John Summers & Sons of Stalybridge on a 6ha site on the north bank of the river Dee, adjacent to the Great Central’s railway line north of Shotton and Connah’s Qay. The works expanded, producing its own steel by the open hearth process from 1902, when it became known as Hawarden Bridge Steel Works. The steelworks continued to develop, becoming Shotton Steelworks and covering an area of around 470 ha. In 1967 the steel industry was nationalised and in 1980 steel production at Shotton came to an end, with considerable job losses. 1999 British Steel merged with a Dutch Company to form Corus and in March 2000 the works was noted as specialising in coating (galvanising and painting) coil steel produced at Llanwern (nprn 86821) and Port Talbot (nprn 91392) steelworks.
The site continues in operation, although reduced in area; a power station (nprn 300211) and paper mill (nprn 408228) have been built on the northern part of the site and several of the former reservoirs have been converted to nature reserves.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 08 November 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites