You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Atlantic College

Loading Map
NPRN300312
Map ReferenceSS96NW
Grid ReferenceSS9343068090
Unitary (Local) AuthorityThe Vale of Glamorgan
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunitySt Donats
Type Of SiteCASTLE
PeriodMedieval
Description
St Donat's Castle is thought to have originated in the twelfth century and has been continuously occupied until the present day. The surviving remains were built around 1300 and consisit of concentric outer and inner curtain walls, a contemporary outer gatehouse and an inner gatehouse with Mansell Tower. The gun room walls are also of this date. Around 1450-1500 the Great Hall with Stradling Entrance, the Below Priest's Room and Gibbett Tower were added. The northwest and north-east ranges of inner courtyard buildings are thought to be of 1500 to 1525. Alterations were made in the early twentieth century and further work was carried out in the late 1920s through to the mid 1930s.

The interior of the west range was partly gutted and remodelled in the late 1920s to circa 1935 and arranged with fittings from other historic buildings, including a fifteenth century stone screen from a Devon church and a probably French hooded fireplace. Further rooms in this range include the Armoury and the Breakfast room.

The alterations in the 1920s and 30s were carried out during the ownership of William Randolph Hearst, the American newspaper magnate. During this time lavish parties were held with visitors from the American movie and political scene, including Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, and the young John F. Kennedy.

Source: CADW listed buildings database

J Hill, RCAHMW, 3 November 2003.
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfRCAHMW Exhibitions