Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 300312

Map Reference SS96NW

Grid Reference SS93436809

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community St Donats



Period Medieval

Site Description St Donat's Castle is thought to have originated in the twelfth century and has been continuously occupied until the present day. The surviving remains were built around 1300 and consisit of concentric outer and inner curtain walls, a contemporary outer gatehouse and an inner gatehouse with Mansell Tower. The gun room walls are also of this date. Around 1450-1500 the Great Hall with Stradling Entrance, the Below Priest's Room and Gibbett Tower were added. The northwest and north-east ranges of inner courtyard buildings are thought to be of 1500 to 1525. Alterations were made in the early twentieth century and further work was carried out in the late 1920s through to the mid 1930s.

The interior of the west range was partly gutted and remodelled in the late 1920s to circa 1935 and arranged with fittings from other historic buildings, including a fifteenth century stone screen from a Devon church and a probably French hooded fireplace. Further rooms in this range include the Armoury and the Breakfast room.

The alterations in the 1920s and 30s were carried out during the ownership of William Randolph Hearst, the American newspaper magnate. During this time lavish parties were held with visitors from the American movie and political scene, including Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, and the young John F. Kennedy.

Source: CADW listed buildings database

J Hill, RCAHMW, 3 November 2003.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources