You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Pembroke Town Walls

Loading Map
NPRN300446
Map ReferenceSM90SE
Grid ReferenceSM9859501400
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityPembroke
Type Of SiteTOWN WALL
PeriodMedieval
Description
NAR SM90SE22

The medieval borough of Pembroke (see NPRN 33205) was laid out along a narrow peninsular between two inlets of Milford Haven with the castle crowning the cliffs at the seaward end (NPRN 94945).
The walls are thought to have been constructed in the later thirteenth-earlier fourteenth century at a time when the castle reached its present imposing strength. The area enclosed is roughly 850m long and at most 240m wide. The strongest works were those crossing the peninsular to the east, where there was a gate and where the remarkable detached Barnard's or Bernard's tower remains Other gates gave acess to causways across the inlets at the west end below the castle and a fragment of the West Gate still survives. There are remains of four other towers, two of which, overlooking the infilled southern inlet, have eighteenth-nineteenth century gazebos built upon them (see NPRN 266508).

Includes
Ramp (Nprn32950).

Sources: Cathcart King & Cheshire in Archaeologia Cambrensis 131 for 1982 (1983), 77-84
Ludlow in Fortress 8 (1991), 25-30

J.Wiles 11.03.04
Resources
DownloadTypeSourceDescription
application/pdfAWP - Archaeology Wales Project ArchivesArchaeology Wales Report No 1383 "Tabernacl Church & Town Wall. Building Recording" prepared by Stafford & Poucher, August 2015.
application/pdfAWP - Archaeology Wales Project ArchivesArchaeology Wales Report No 1420 "Tabernacle Church and Town Wall, Pembroke, Archaeological Evaluation" prepared by Philip Poucher, December 2015.
application/vnd.ms-excelAWP - Archaeology Wales Project ArchivesArchive metadata table for project archive ref no AW2319 relating to archaeological work at Tabernacl Church and Town Wall, Pembroke carried out by Archaeology Wales, 2015.