Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

GREAT ORMES HEAD TELEGRAPH STATION

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 300829

Map Reference SH78SE

Grid Reference SH76668338

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llandudno

Type of Site SIGNAL STATION

Broad Class COMMUNICATIONS

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Part of the Liverpool and Holyhead Telegraph (nprn 300822).
Original building of timber, built for the Admiralty in 1800/2; taken over by the telegraph in 1827 and rebuilt in 1841. The station closed in c.1863.

The Telegraph Hotel (Nprn: 412156) was built on the site of the Telegraph Station in c.1910. The hotel was taken over by the RAF in 1939 and used as a Radar Station.

Source: Faster than the Wind: The Liverpool to Holyhead Telegraph; Frank Large; Avid Publications; 1998.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 14 September 2000.

The telegraph tower is depicted on an historic chart clear to the summit of the Great Orme (676ft) and a track leading to a second tower or lighthouse (see NPRN 518947).

Sources include:
Historic Admiralty Chart 1170-A4, RCAHMW Digital Collections sourced from UK Hydrographic Office (published 1839)

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, October 2011.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites