Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANEILIAN; POINT LYNAS; POINT ELIANUS 1827 TELEGRAPH STATION, LLANEILIAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 300830

Map Reference SH49SE

Grid Reference SH473917

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llaneilian

Type of Site SIGNAL STATION

Broad Class COMMUNICATIONS

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The scant remains comprise stones blocks and a rock-cut water tank.

Event and Historical Information:
This signal station was built in 1827 as part of the Liverpool and Holyhead Telegraph (see NPRN 300822). An hsitoric chart dating to 1839 includes a depiction showing multiple signalling arms. It is shown close to a beacon (annotated 671ft). The telegraph was superceded in 1840 by a new station built lower down the mountain 0.75km to the northeast at SH 478 922 (see NPRN 300831).

Sources include:
Large, F, 1998, Faster than the Wind: The Liverpool to Holyhead Telegraph; Avid Publications.
Historic Admiralty Chart 1170-A4, RCAHMW Digital Collections sourced from UK Hydrographic Office (published 1839)

RCAHMW, October 2011.

Archive Records

Associated Sites