Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST FINAN'S CHURCH, LLANFFINAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 300912

Map Reference SH47NE

Grid Reference SH49557550

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llanddyfnan

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Medieval

Site Description The church of St Ffinan lies in a rural location, set back from the south-east side of a country road leading north-east off the B5420 to Talwrn.
There is a church recorded in the Norwich taxation of 1254, though the exact site is uncertain. The present church was erected in 1841, to designs of the architect John Welch in a simple Romanesque revival style, but it retains a twelfth-century font and some memorials from the earlier church.
It is constructed of coursed, roughly-dressed masonry with freestone dressings including continuous sill band, plinth and clasping buttresses, and a slate roof with tiled ridge. Its plan comprises three bays, to a rectangular plan with continuous nave and chancel, and has an east gable cross finial and west gable bellcote. All the openings are round headed, a single window to each bay and a tripartite chancel window. The doorway at the west gable has smaller flanking windows and a gallery window in the gable apex over a stone slab which bears the date 1841.
The twelfth-century font is gritstone, a circular bowl chamfered at the base to fit into a modern square pedestal., the surface decorated with crude interlacing strap ornament.
Source: extract from Cadw Listing database.

RCAHMW, 11 November 2014

Digital Images

Archive Records