You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Priory Lodge, Milford Haven

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSM90NW
Grid ReferenceSM9026806436
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityMilford Haven
Type Of SiteHOUSE
PeriodPost Medieval
Priory Lodge is situated in originally rural setting between Priory Road and Hubberston Pill, approached from Nantucket Avenue. It is a small country house built in c1800 for Samuel Starbuck Sr, one of the leaders of the Nantucket Quaker whalers invited to settle in Milford by Charles Greville.

The building has a slate hipped roof, two storeys and attic, originally with formal 3-window front but extended in the later l9th century by two bays to south, when the roof was probably remodelled losing any cornice or overhanging eaves. The original part has 12-pane sashes and a centre 5-panel door with a traceried fanlight in an attractive classical doorcase of two attached Ionic columns with block entablatures and an open modillion pediment.

The rear is much added to but an arch-headed centre stair light and first floor sash window each side survive from original.

The building is of considerable historical importance as the house built for one of the leaders of the Nantucket whalers who came to found Milford in 1792, though probably built after 1797. (F. Thomas says that the house was built originally for a Captain Bunker.) In Slaters 1858-9 Directory it was owned by Gayner Starbuck and Son coal and butter merchants, shipping agents, shipowners and brewers, the brewery being NW of the house on the gasworks site.

References: K D McKay A Vision of Greatness l989. l2, 33, 36, 37, 42, 43.
Flora Thomas The Builders of Milford l920. 36.