Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CALDICOT CASTLE (INHABITED PORTIONS), CALDICOT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 301255

Map Reference ST48NE

Grid Reference ST4868088509

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Caldicot

Type of Site CASTLE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description The large motte-and-bailey castle at Caldicot developed over the thirteenth and fourteenth and was completed in its medieval form in about 1389. It was purchased by J.R. Cobb in 1885 (or 1891?) and restored and rebuilt in varying degrees over the next twenty years. Built almost wholly of local rubble stone faced with squared blocks of local gritstone. The late nineteenth century work used closely matched stone with some red brick and pseudo timber framing in those additions to the Great Gatehouse which formed Cobb's own house.

J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 20 February 2003

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites