You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Llangurig Parish Church

Loading Map
NPRN301591
Map ReferenceSN97NW
Grid ReferenceSN9077979909
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
CommunityLlangurig
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Llangurig Parish Church was reputedly founded by St. Curig, who died c.550, and is now dedicated to him. It has been claimed that in the twelfth century it became part of the abbey lands of Strata Florida, but the first solid record of its existence was in 1254. Much of the limestone rubble-built walling in evidence today dates from the late twelfth and early thirteenth centuries, though there has been extensive restoration.
The church consists of nave, chancel, south porch which was rebuilt in the nineteenth century, west tower originally built in the fifteenth century, but later restored and crenellated, and north vestry. The roof was originally thatched, but re-roofed in Welsh slate when Sir George Gilbert Scott restored the church in the Early English style. The fenestration dates from various periods, and is largely re-set from its original position. The interior of the church is plastered and painted, with nineteenth century furnishings. The churchyard is surrounded by masonry walling with a gabled lychgate from the eighteenth century. Within the churchyard is a memorial foundain (NPRN 32914) and a sundial in memory of Thomas Hamer.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 28 November 2008