You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Donats Castle Parks And Gardens, St Donats

Loading Map
NPRN301676
Map ReferenceSS96NW
Grid ReferenceSS9347068064
Unitary (Local) AuthorityThe Vale of Glamorgan
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunitySt Donats
Type Of SiteGARDEN
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
1. ST DONAT'S CASTLE is the rare survival of a complete, large-scale Tudor terraced garden, attached to a mediaeval castle, partly restored and added to in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The size, complexity, state of preservation and rarity make these gardens of outstanding value. Two walled deer parks attached to the castle also remain and an unusual tower stands in the wooded grounds. Randolph Hearst's occupation in the 1920s and 30s gave the castle and gardens a renewed opulence that has in part survived to this day. This dates from the second half of sixteenth century; c. 1862; 1901-09; 1925-30.CSB after Register

Parks & gardens of St Donat's castle (Nprn300312):

2. W and E deer parks, possibly medieval in origin, each having a possible prospect tower (Nprns 37674 & 23087 respectively);
Terraced gardens to the S of the castle, in their present form laid out in the later 17th C., with the 'Cavalry Barracks', a possible stable yard or riding school in the S (Nprn37670), against the seashore;
The N & E drives with their associated lodges (Nprns19907 & 19906 respectively), laid out in the later 19th C.
Associated with: Warren (Nprn307542).
J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 20.12.2002

3. Depicted on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25-inch map of Glamorgan XLIX, sheet 1 (1899). C.H. Nicholas, RCAHMW, 18th August 2006.
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfCPG - Cadw Parks and Gardens Register Descriptions