Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CASTELL TAN-Y-CASTELL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 301795

Map Reference SN57NE

Grid Reference SN58517900

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llanfarian

Type of Site CASTLE

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Medieval

Site Description The original castle at Aberystwyth was built in 1110 by the Earl of Clare and occupied by the Normans until 1136. The Welsh controlled it from from 1136 to 1143. The site comprises a large oval ringwork castle on the back of a ridge, with a bailey 120ft long running along the ridge and protected by a scarp up to 13ft high; the ringwork measures 90ft by 70ft. The site was excavated in 1956-7, revealing that the castle was extensively damaged circa 1143 or later and that another period of occupation commenced about 1200AD, when the ruins were levelled and the gateway strengthened. The castle is some 350m north of St Hychan's Church (NPRN 96043) and the two may have been contemporary.

Sources include:
OS 495 card: SN57NE2
Ceredigion 3 1956-9 65, D.J.C King
CBA Gp 2 NL 1 1961 11-12 C.H. Houlder

RCAHMW, March 2001.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources