You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St David's Church, Llanfaes, Brecon

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSO02NW
Grid ReferenceSO0379128313
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyBrecknockshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century
St David's church is located on the south side of Church Street (B4261) at its junction with Bailihelig Road, set in a large rectangular churchyard used as a cemetery. It was built in 1859-61 to designs of John Clayton of Hereford with additions in 1878 and again in 1923-5, the latter by J.B.Fletcher of Cardiff. It lies next to the site of a medieval church mentioned by Giraldus Cambrensis in 1188.
The church is constructed of grey-brown stone with bathstone dressings under slate roofs. It consists of west crenellated tower with small spire and polygonal stair turret, nave, gabled north porch, gabled north chapel and organ loft, and vestry or former two-storey schoolroom with chimney (1878) on the south side of the tower. Lean-to aisles were added in 1923-5 with the addition of the clerestory. Windows are in both Decorated (1859) and Perpendicular styles (generally twentieth century). Inside, the four-bay nave arcades of broad pointed arches spring directly from polygonal piers under the open timber roof. Fittings include a re-cut medieval font with octagonal bowl, and another of 1945 carved with an arc and symbols of the Evangelists etc. Stained glass includes works by Clayton & Bell (c.1860) and James Powell (1924).
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
R.Scourfield & R.Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys (2013), p.508.

RCAHMW, 7 September 2015