You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Non's Church, Llannon

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN50NW
Grid ReferenceSN5397008470
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCarmarthenshire
Old CountyCarmarthenshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
St Non's Church is situated within a curvilinear churchyard, which has been extended to the north in the twentieth century. During the medieval period the church was a chapelry belonging to the Deanery of Kidwelly. By 1833 it was a parish church, in the patronage of Rees goring Thomas, Esq. In 1998 the church was a parish church, belonging to the Rural Deanery of Kidwelly. In 1913 it was noted that, according to tradition, certain figures or images were removed from the church during the reformation and burnt in a neighbouring field, which was henceforth known as 'Cae poeth'. A dwelling, depicted as Cil-Dewi (now Lletty) on historic (1878) Ordnance Survey mapping, is situated some 1.5km south-south-west of the church. In 1913 Cil Dewi fawr was noted to be one of the principal homesteads in the parish.

The church is a Grdae II* listed building, constructed of local rubble stone. It consists of three-bayed nave, two-bayed chancel, three-bayed south aisle, two-storey vestry/boilerhouse (south of chancel west bay) and three-storey west tower. The nave and chancel are medieval, and may date to the thitrteenth to fourteenth century. North and south transepts were formerly present, and may date to before around 1500, when most of the south transept is thought to have been absorbed into the newly added south aisle. Two bells were noted in the sixteenth century. In 1841 there was a north transept, with a shallower square projection to the west, possibly relating to a rood stair. There was also a south transept, projecting beyond the south aisle and partially absorbed by it. The tower dates to the early sixteenth century. It has a spiral staircase in the thickness of its south wall. Its crenellated parapet dates to 1841. The church was restored in 1841, to the designs of Edward Haycock. Both transepts and possible projecting stair were removed. The arcade seperating nave and south aisle was removed. The floors were raised by 1m, and are suspended over earlier floor surfaces. There are eighteenth-nineteenth century burial vaults below the chancel, nave and south aisle. The vestry was present by 1873. The font dates to the twentieth century. The church was renovated during the 1970s, largely using local labour. The eighteenth century south aisle vaults were rediscovered at this time, and the west window unblocked and restored. The nave and chancel floors are thought to have been replaced at this time, and the vestry was probably first adapted to a WC.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Carmarthenshire Churches, gazetteer, 48
Ordnance Survey, 1878, first edition 25in

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 7 May 2013