You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Frongoch Lead Mine

Loading Map
NPRN302
Map ReferenceSN77SW
Grid ReferenceSN7212074450
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
CommunityPontarfynach
Type Of SiteLEAD MINE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Frongoch Lead Mine is an extensive and important lead mine complex, first recorded in 1759 and last noted as a potential going concern in 1903. It was supplied with water for power and processing purposes from at least five reservoirs in the late nineteenth century: Pond Rhos-rhydd (SN 7045 7595), 2.3km to the north west of the mine, with Pond Glan-dwgan (SN 7070 7515) adjacent to its south; Llyn Frongoch (NPRN 32235; SN 7215 7535), 1km north of the mine, with the subsidiary Blaen Pentre Pool (SN 7235 7487) adjacent to its south; and Ty'n-y-bwlch Pool (SN 7285 7470), some 800m to the north east of the mine.

In 1899 a Belgian firm, the Societe Anonyme Metallurgique, of Liege, took over Frongoch Mine and set about installing new electrically-driven plant. Power was supplied by a Pelton wheel and steam engine in a power house (NPRN 407230) adjacent to the road about 1.6km to the west. A five level dressing mill (NPRN 33870) was built on the (by then) closed Wemyss Mine (NPRN 33907) and this was served by a 700m-long tramway from Frongoch.

RCAHMW, 07 January 2008.
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfRCAHMW Exhibitions
application/pdfMLPC - Metal Links Project Collection