You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Holy Cross Church, Llechryd

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN24SW
Grid ReferenceSN2186043720
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Holy Cross Church is thought to have been constructed in fourteenth century, as a chapel of ease to Llangoedmor parish. Holy Cross, Mwnt (NPRN 301815) was also a chapel of ease to Llangoedmor (whose parish church was St Cynllo's, NPRN 310132). The church's remains are situated to the immediate north of the A484 and west of the Nant Arberth, close to the point where it flows into the River Teifi.

The church is considered a good example of the barn-like appearance of many a pre-Victorian church. It is constructed of local slate rubble, and consists of nave and chancel, south chapel and south vestry. The chapel and vestry are thought to have been added in the eighteenth century, with a transept beam dated 1766. All trusses are pegged; the north truss of the chapel is in the form of an upper cruck. One monument survives on the north wall of the chancel; a black slate tablet to Sarah Jones (died 1796) and her child. The church was restored and enlarged in 1838. The two-centred arched windows, with brick heads and intersecting wooden tracery, date to the 1830s. Thesoftwood box pews and two-decker pulpit (with reading desk below) also date to this time. There is a small bell-frame against the west wall. The church, which was susceptible to flooding, was superseded by St Tydfil's Church (NPRN 400313) in 1877-1878. Holy Cross Church was abandoned in 1879, and lay empty until 1933, when it was reopened. An open-air service was held there in 1950. The church became a Grade II listed building in 1964, but was delisted in 1994, shortly after its roof collapsed. It is now derelict. The shell was consolidated in 1996-1997.

Sources include:
Lloyd, T, Orbach, J and Scourfield, R, 2006, The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion

RCAHMW, 12 September 2013