Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Some map tiles and images are currently unavailable. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

PORTH UCHAF OR THE UPPER GATE, CONWY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 303123

Map Reference SH77NE

Grid Reference SH7790577475

Unitary (Local) Authority Conwy

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Conwy

Type of Site TOWN GATE

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Medieval

Site Description Porth Uchaf is known as 'the High Gate of Conway'. The Conway town walls (NPRN 95280) were built between 1283 & 1286. The Upper Gate is the main landward entrance and is set near the highest part of the walled circuit on a sloping site. Two D-shaped towers flank a gate passage originally fitted with a portcullis and stout doors. The bridge over the town moat in front of the gate was lined by walls forming a projecting barbican or outwork. This was linked to the platform set over the outer gate arch. The whole structure rises two storeys with battlements above. Due to the sloping site the building is staggered with the western tower set higher than the rest. The upper chambers would have been fitted out as apartments or lodgings.

Source: Taylor 'Conway Castle & Town Walls' MoW guide (1957), 46-7

John Wiles 18.03.08

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites