You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Michael's Parish Church, Llanfihangel Rhydithon

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSO16NE
Grid ReferenceSO1513766709
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyRadnorshire
CommunityLlanfihangel Rhydithon
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century
The parish church Saint Michael and All Saints is located on an elevated site on the south side of the A483. The church is a nineteenth-century building on a more ancient site, entirely rebuilt in 1833-4 to designs of Benjamin Wishlade, County Surveyor. It consists of nave and short, narrower, chancel with gabled north-east vestry. A battlemented tower-cum-porch in contrasting rock-faced stone was added to the west gable in 1906 by R.Wellings Thomas. Repairs were carried out in 1891 by S.W.Williams. In 1907 the 1830s iron windows were replaced with Decorated ones by Wellings Thomas who also added the tie-beam roof with struts and open roundels. Fittings include a small, plain octagonal font, possibly of fifteenth-century date. Stained glass includes works by J.Stephenson (east window, 1907) and Howard Martin and Hubert Thomas (south nave, 1939).
The church stands within a rounded churchyard with some interesting eighteenth-century gravestones. The church was not listed in the 1993 community resurvey. (R.F.Suggett /2002).
R.Scourfield & R.Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys (2013), p.365.

RCAHMW, 25 August 2015