You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Nettasagrus Stone, Bridell

Loading Map
NPRN304080
Map ReferenceSN14SE
Grid ReferenceSN1766042060
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityCilgerran
Type Of SiteINSCRIBED STONE
PeriodEarly Medieval
Description
Bridell 1 was first noted in 1859 standing in the churchyard of St David's Church, Bridell (NPRN 422337), which is where it is currently situated. It may be in situ, or may have originally been associated with cist graves found in the field to the west of the churchyard in the 19th century.

The stone is spotted dolerite deriving from the Carn Meini in the Preseli Hills and could possibly be a reused standing stone. Measurements are given as 222cm height x 63.5>10cm width x 20cm diameter. Its ogam inscription, thought to date to the 5th century, has been translated as `Nettasagri son of the kindred of Briaci?. The stone has an incised cross which was added in the 9th to 10th century.

Sources include:
Edwards, N. 2007, Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculpture in Wales

N Vousden, 13 November 2017