You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Mary's & St Curig's Church, Llanboidy

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN22NW
Grid ReferenceSN2021026340
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCarmarthenshire
Old CountyCarmarthenshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
St Mary and St Curig's Church is thought to be located on the former site of a medieval church. The curvilinear churchyard is sited at a T-junction, and its western boundary is dilineated by a road. A former balcksmith's workshop (NPRN 310190) is located some 20m west of the west churchyard boundary.

The church is now a roofless structure of mostly eighteenth century appearance. It consists of seperate nave and chancel, and is constructed of of rubble mudstone. It has stone quoins to the west gable end, an arched end-entry and chancel arch. A plaque over the entry is dated 1770, which is thought to be the date of a rebuild. The brick Gothic arched windows may have been inserted at this time. A blocked earlier window has a flat timber lintel head. A straight-joint between the nave and slightly off-set chancel may indicate phasing, although the mortar and stone are similar. The site was visited by RCAHMW staff in 2002.

RCAHMW, 15 April 2013