You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Tretower Castle

Loading Map
NPRN306010
Map ReferenceSO12SE
Grid ReferenceSO1845421260
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyBrecknockshire
CommunityLlanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine
Type Of SiteCASTLE
PeriodMedieval
Description
An early motte and bailey castle underlie the fabric of the mainly mid twelfth to early thirteenth centuries castle at Tretower.Replaced as a residence by nearby Tretower Court (NPRN 16305) from about 1300, it was still largely intact in the early sixteenth century.

The surviving remains are of rubble sandstone and consist of a circular tower and the remains of a shell keep. The three storey tower with basement dominates - it has an entrance on the northern side at first floor level. The fireplace on the northwestern side on the first floor has moulded and scalloped corbels whilst a similar fireplace on the second floor has fine slab seats. The remains of the gatehouse are to the east of the keep and the kitchen and first-floor hall are to its south. The the solar is to its west.
(Source CADW listed buildings description)

RCAHMW, December 2008.
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfADAHS - ArchaeoDomus Archaeological and Heritage Services Collection
application/pdfADAHS - ArchaeoDomus Archaeological and Heritage Services Collection
application/pdfADAHS - ArchaeoDomus Archaeological and Heritage Services Collection
application/pdfADAHS - ArchaeoDomus Archaeological and Heritage Services Collection
application/pdfADAHS - ArchaeoDomus Archaeological and Heritage Services Collection
application/pdfADAHS - ArchaeoDomus Archaeological and Heritage Services Collection