Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TRETOWER CASTLE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 306010

Map Reference SO12SE

Grid Reference SO1845421260

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine

Type of Site CASTLE

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Medieval

Site Description An early motte and bailey castle underlie the fabric of the mainly mid twelfth to early thirteenth centuries castle at Tretower.Replaced as a residence by nearby Tretower Court (NPRN 16305) from about 1300, it was still largely intact in the early sixteenth century.

The surviving remains are of rubble sandstone and consist of a circular tower and the remains of a shell keep. The three storey tower with basement dominates - it has an entrance on the northern side at first floor level. The fireplace on the northwestern side on the first floor has moulded and scalloped corbels whilst a similar fireplace on the second floor has fine slab seats. The remains of the gatehouse are to the east of the keep and the kitchen and first-floor hall are to its south. The the solar is to its west.
(Source CADW listed buildings description)

RCAHMW, December 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources