Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVID'S CHURCH, LLANDDEWI FACH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 306073

Map Reference ST39NW

Grid Reference ST33199588

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Llangybi (Monmouthshire)

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description Built in the Gothic style, long-wall entry type. Present status [1997] : disused

Medieval foundation, restored in 1864 and again in 1920

This is the rebuilding of a medieval church in 1856-7 by J P Seddon of which the nave seems to be rather more thoroughgoing than the chancel. The north and west walls appear to have more old work than the rest. The form of the church is Norman/Early English but the surviving details are Perpendicular. The date of the west gable window is a mystery, post Seddon but pre-1995, and so why was it done? The 1980 list description reported a restoration in 1920 which could perhaps date this feature. The church was declared redundant and converted into a cottage in the mid 1990s.

The church is built of coursed squared local sandstone with a battered base, particularly to the chancel. Stone slate roofs. Simple rectangular plan of nave with south porch and west bell-cote, chancel. The nave has a blocked west door in a simple arch with a 2-light timber window above in a blue brick frame, to light the gallery. The south wall has a single light Perpendicular window to the left and a 3-light one to the right of the steeply gabled porch. Cusped lights and dripmoulds over the windows. Pointed arch and coped gable to the porch. 2-light window and possible indication of a north door on the north wall. Steeply pitched roof with coped gables; the west one with a gabled bell-cote (the bells are gone) and the east one with a cross. The chancel is lower and narrower than the nave. It has a 2-light Perpendicular window on the south wall, the north wall is blind, the east gable has a 3-light Perpendicular window with dripmould over. Coped gable with cross.

The interior was stripped out on closure and it was converted to a house in c1995. It was not seen at resurvey.

Included as an attractive Victorian rebuilding of a small medieval church by J P Seddon.

John Newman, Gwent/Monmouthshire, The Buildings of Wales, Penguin Books, 2000, p 268.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings NJR 04/06/2007

Archive Records