You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Llawddog's Church, Llanllawddog

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN42NE
Grid ReferenceSN4578029415
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCarmarthenshire
Old CountyCarmarthenshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
St Llawddog's Church was a medieval chapelry belonging to Abergwili, in the Deanery of Carmarthen. It was first mentioned in documents of 1148-1176.In 1787 the church was a parish church, in the patronage of the vicar of Abergwili. In 1998 St Llawddog's was a parish church belonging to the Rural Deanery of Carmarthen.

The pre-1848 church was noted to be small and simple. It is known to have had whitewashed internal and external walls and a western gallery reached by an external staircase. One bell was present in 1705. The church's current font belonged to the old church and is thought to possibly date to the seventeenth century.

The church was rebuilt in 1848-1849, to the designs of Collard, and is on the same site and in the same location as its predecessor. It is constructed of local rubble stone, and consists of thrre-bayed nave, two-bayed chancel, west porch and transeptal vestry (north of the chancel). The chancel was refitted in 1910. The porch was added in the 1940s.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Carmarthenshire Churches, gazetteer, 48

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 11 February 2013