You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Holy Trinity Church, Aberaeron

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN46SE
Grid ReferenceSN4573662747
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century
Holy Trinity Church is situated on hillside out of the town centre to the south-west set back from and above the main road through the town (A487), and approached through a lychgate. The church was consecrated in 1875. Originally built in 1835 for Colonel Gwynne by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury, the church was rebuilt in 1872 in Early Decorated Gothic style by Middleton & Goodman of Cheltenham, the tower added in 1878. The eastern apse was replaced in 1897-8 with the existing suare-ended chancel by Messrs Prothero and Phillpott of Cheltenham in memory of Rec W O Edwards.
The present church is constructed of squared, rock-faced rubble with Bath stone trimmings and band courses to west front, and slate roofs with ridge cresting. It consists of a broad, five-bay aisleless nave, a slightly narrower three-bay chancel, and a south-west porch-tower almost detached. Inside, the broad open trussed roof is squat, massively scaled shafts to the chancel arch, and dominant five-light east window. Fittings include font and pulpit of heavily shafted stone and marble carved by R.Boulton (1873), and reredos in the form of a timber triptych by Kempe & Co (1933). Stained glass includes works by Joseph Bell (1875), Kempe & Co (1932) and Mary Lowndes (1920? & 1925), amongst others.
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
Google Street View, August 2011.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.393.

RCAHMW, 1 July 2015