You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Gwalia Hotel;thegwalia- Radnor District Council Offices, Llandridnod Wells

Loading Map
NPRN30680
Map ReferenceSO06SE
Grid ReferenceSO0568261079
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyRadnorshire
CommunityLlandrindod Wells
Type Of SiteHOTEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Opened in 1900 (replacing the original Gwalia Hotel built in 1877 on the opposite corner), by Swash and Bain, Architects of Newport.

Building constructed in the Queen Anne Period and Edwardian Baroque, to 3-storeys and attic, with a brick front framed by octagonal, domed turrets and with advanced stuccoed giant arched entrance bay. There is a segmental dentilled pediment terminating in scrolls and supported by plain cornice on pilasters with Ionic-influenced capitals, and an arch to the second floor with a shield and recessed window. The first floor is built out as a bay, with horizontal cartouche above two sash windows with fluted columns to centre.

There is a plain, semicircular, arched entrance with panelled wooden doors. A large ironwork verandah projects across the front, with a semicircular, iron, ribbed canopy to the entrance with cresting to the arch and ridge. This is decorated with rich scroll work and cast iron columns with traceried spandrels and foliated capitals. The whole lit by sash windows, with the octagonal turrets having almond-shaped pivot windows to the top floors, with large keystones rising to brick eaves courses, above which are leaded, domed roofs.

The main range has a hipped slate roof with exposed eaves and 5 brick stacks. There are 3 semicircular headed dormers with sash windows in architraves, while the slightly advanced bays either side of centre have sashes linked by stuccoed heraldic panels.

The Norton Street elevation, on a downhill slope to Rock Park, is four storeys. There are 3 splayed brick bays, with concave stone parapets on moulded brackets and heraldic panels to the tops of each bay, the whole with sash windows. The terrace of the front continues around at first floor level to depth of one bay, with ironwork to the railings and small openings within the brick terrace wall.

There is a later, semi-octagonal, 6-storey, stone tower beyond in Baroque Revival style. This has a domed top, with a classical semi-frieze and broken pediments to the first floor sash windows.

Stepping further down the hill, there is an adjoining 5-storey, 6-window block in similar light Baroque style. This is built of brick with freestone dressings, with a parapet with a detailed cornice below and a shield to centre. A splayed bay to the left has stone parapets and shields and large keystones. Other sash windows are linked by ashlar panels and have broken pediments to the 1st floor and triple Keystones to ground floor examples.

There is a plain right side elevation stepping down Ithon Road, 7-windows wide, 3-storeyed with a basement and attic, 5 dormers, all windows being sashes.

The interior retains a fine entrance hall, with two level galleries on 3 sides with ironwork banisters, wooden newel posts and repeated traceried patterns. There is a stuccoed and panelled ceiling, good Art Nouveau glass to all 3 floors and to the staircase. It retains doors with sinuous detail, and the council room to right has classical plaster frieze and dentiled cornice.
(Source; Cadw listing description) S Fielding RCAHMW 10/01/2006