You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Mary's Church, Nercwys

Loading Map
NPRN306981
Map ReferenceSJ26SW
Grid ReferenceSJ2348060420
Unitary (Local) AuthorityFlintshire
Old CountyFlintshire
CommunityNercwys
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
St Mary's church, Nercwys is a medieval church, probably single chamber with a low west tower, it was restored and enlarged in 1847 and 1884. An arch-braced roof with cusped windbraces survives. See the summary account by Edward Hubbard in The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd, p. 404-5. The east window (photographed in 2001) incorporates 15th century glass depicting the lion and boar of Richard III. Description by Michael Siddons in Heraldic Badges in England and Wales (Society of Antiquaries, forthcoming). (2002.11.08/RCAHMW/RFS)

WALLPAINTINGS
Painted screen/reredos rebuilt as throne
a) Cader Fair,elaborate remains of rood screen (or stall work) rebuilt as a throne and painted and gilded. (see Crossley)
b) Three painted panels probably c1820 in the base of tower - Paternoster, Decalogue, Benefactions Table.
c) painted heraldic panels from family pews reset in south wall of nave; one (inlaid) dated 1747
RGN'72
Source: RCAHMW Wallpaintings database. 2004.09.10/RCAHMW/SLE